Wednesday, March 10, 2010

What is "cool"?

I'll admit it. When I was in my 20's and 30's I used to obsess about if something was "cool" or not. I wanted to be "cool".

I can't tell you how often in DragKing I would want to use some sample and either myself or one of the members of the band would say something like, "you can't use that. it's not cool."

Well, one of the things I decided about my current batch of music is that I could care less about what is "cool" or not. I think "The Hate Song" is a perfect example of that. I really doubt that I would have ever considered bringing to DragKing a song idea based on a loop from an ELO song. ELO is NOT cool! and the funny thing is that I bet DragKing would have done something even more amazing than what I did. I wonder?

The song for April has some very "uncool" samples in it as well. Very cool! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment