Wednesday, March 17, 2010

if I were a rich man...

If I were a rich man I would use Logic on a nicer machine instead of Garageband. I know Garageband isn't up to snuff as far as "pro" recordings go but for me it's a matter of money. I just don't have the cash to buy a top of the line MacBook Pro. I loaded up Logic on my MacBook and I could barely open it on my machine. So Garageband it is.

But honestly Garageband is way better than Deck which is what I was using. and it's such a huge difference from what I was using when I first started doing home recordings. I still can remember the 4-Track cassette days of long ago. When "mixing" meant a day of sitting down and trying to get just the right sound because you knew you only had one chance. If you made a mixdown, listened back to it, and there was something you didn't like in the first song, you would have to do it all over again. Now you can just go into the digital file, fix the problem, and redo the mix. The whole process is so much easier.

To be honest I still can't believe it all. It still sometimes strikes me as a miracle. That I can have a 12 track digital recording studio that fits inside of my notebook. I can record tracks, mix them down, and burn a CD. I may not be a rich man but I'm certainly not complaining!

No comments:

Post a Comment