Thursday, April 1, 2010

The April song is up.

I did it! Two months in a row now. It was really easy this month because the song was 99% done already. Although it was a "process" listening to the two different versions I had, deciding that I liked the one with the real drums more, and then figuring out how to transfer the tracks over into Garageband.

I really like "Spock Sox". My gut feeling however is that it won't be as well received as last month's song. In many ways I like it much more though. The samples bring back such happy feelings for me. It a very personal song on many levels. Or more to the point it appeals to me on a very personal level. I suppose that's why I created it.

We used to talk in DragKing about playing music that we liked. We used to argue, or more to the point have philosophical discussions, about whether it was a good or bad thing to simply play music that we liked and not worry about the "audience". Was it self indulgent and pretentious to play things that we and only we were into? On the other hand if we're doing stuff that we love and are into, shouldn't that reflect itself in our music, and make the music better? and if it's better music isn't there more of a chance that the audience will like it more?

Who knows... all I know is I like Spock Sox and I think my enthusiasm shows through. I hope the "audience" likes it also.

So the web pages are all updated. Just need to compose and send out the email. In a funny way I'm wondering if I should wait till tomorrow so people don't think it's a weird April Fools joke? I'm not going to worry about that and send it out. I really wanted to make the plan to send it off on the 1st of every month. I was a few days late last month in large part because it was the first month and there was a lot of work to do. Now that I've got it all set up I'm hoping I can keep on the schedule for the rest of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment