Sunday, July 4, 2010

Went to Garageband school

so for the past two days I've spent hours looking at videos on YouTube about how to use Garageband. Go to YouTube and type in "Garageband tutorials" or "How to use samples in Garageband" and you can find some very interesting stuff.

One of the things that cracked me up was one of the tutorials is done by a kid who seems to be about 10 years old. He was good. and I really did pick up some great tips how to do some of the stuff I've been trying to do.

My main issue/problem is getting my samples to link up with the beats. In a book I got it said that if you take your sample loop and save it in the library if you use it in a song it will automatically sync with whatever beat you lay down. It doesn't seem to work that way for me. When I lay down my beats at a certain bpm and then put down the samples in a loop they never sync up. Or at least they never sync up for the length of the song.

but several of the videos seemed to give a hint to what the secret is. I was thinking too literally in a way. When I would lay down my sample loop tracks I would put them on one track. Repeat the same thing over and over again. After awhile it would start to go just a little out of sync.

so instead of putting the looped samples on one track what you do is use two different tracks. alternate between tracks with the sample. and on each track make sure the samples are synced up with the drum track.

I'm guessing this makes no sense to 99% of the people reading this. but for me it's a massive epiphany. If this works the way I think it will work it will allow me to create the kind of music I've been wanting to make for years. but haven't had the technology to create.

It's about 10pm on July 4th. I can hear the fireworks going off all around me. I'm going to run down to the basement and fire up the studio and try this theory out. If it works I have a feeling I won't be able to sleep tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment